How to Volunteer on Sandy Service Day
The Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund has partnered with Jersey Cares to mobilize 5,000 volunteers in meaningful service projects to continue clean-up and rebuilding efforts throughout Atlantic, Monmouth, Ocean and Bergen Counties on the anniversary of Hurricane Sandy. Here's how to partner with thousands of your neighbors on Sandy Service Day!
Sandy Service Day will be held on two days - Saturday, October 26, 2013 and Tuesday, October 29, 2013.
- There are two shifts each day – morning (9am-12pm) and afternoon (1pm-4pm).
- Volunteers should wear clothes they feel comfortable getting dirty.
- All projects will be held rain or shine, please check the Jersey Cares website in the event of inclement weather.
- Volunteers ages 5+ are welcome to participate at select sites. Some sites have different age limits - please check before registering. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a youth waiver signed by their parent or guardian in order to participate. Youth waivers can be downloaded here.
- Water and snacks will be provided.
Below are some of the projects that will take place on Sandy Service Day. Not every project is family friendly and each site will offer different activities. Please see Jersey Cares website to find where a specific project is taking place, and to ensure the activity is age appropriate and of interest.
- Beach Clean-ups and Fence Installation
- Bench, Picnic Table, Raised Bed and Lifeguard Stand Assembly
- Debris/Sand Removal
- Field/Park Revitalization
- Home Repairs/Rebuilding
- Meal Service for Early Responders
- Mural Painting, Line Game Painting in Schools
- Welcome Home Painting Kit Assembly
- Volunteers can register as either a team or individual-- Teams consist of 5 or more family, friends, or coworkers
- Each team assigns a Team Leader who will coordinate all the details for the team on and before the event