Toms River Named One of the ‘Most Boring’ Towns in NJ
Recently, the real estate website Movoto released its list of the most exciting places in NJ. Luckily, the Jersey Shore was represented with Long Branch making the top 10. Now the site has named its most boring towns in the state and a Shore town came in at number 5.
Tied for number 5 on the rundown of the most boring towns in the state is Toms River. Let me start off by saying that I may be a little biased because I grew up and lived in Toms River for most of my life. I'm proud graduate of Toms River East. Shoutout to the class of '01!
That being said, there's a "formula" the Movoto used to come up with their rankings:
- Nightlife per capita (bars, clubs, comedy, etc.)
- Live music venues per capita
- Active life options per capita (parks, outdoor activities, etc.)
- Arts and Entertainment per capita (movie theaters, festivals, galleries, etc.)
- Fast Food restaurants per capita (the fewer the better)
- Percentage of restaurants that are not fast food (the higher the better)
- Percentage of young residents ages 18 to 34 (the higher the better)
- Population density (the higher the better)
Okay, well, there’s the river… and that’s about it. Seriously though, this place did rank decently in a few areas.
Some active life options, a few music venues, and a decent score in the arts and entertainment area kept this place from being any worse on our boring list. So, why is this city here at all?
We hope you enjoy fast food, because there’s a ton of it here. There also were not many unique dining options per capita, poor population density, and a much older population. Only about 18 percent of people here were between the ages of 18 and 34.
We will say that this place has appeared on MTV several times before. Why? No idea.
I'm proud to say I from Toms River. 94.3 The Point and our company, Townsquare Media are headquartered here. Yeah, there are some not so hot spots in the town, but there are also cool hangouts and beautiful views.
As far as the fast food is concerned, yes, there are a lot of chains. However, one of my favorite local restaurants is in Toms River, Il Giardinello.
Here's Movoto's top 10.
1. City of Pleasantville
2. Borough of Carteret
3. City of East Orange
4. Borough of Hawthorne
5. City of Bridgeton
5. Township of Toms River
7. City of Perth Amboy
8. Borough of South Plainfield
9. Borough of Roselle
10. Borough of Elmwood Park