Ways to Avoid a Fire When Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner
Thanksgiving is the biggest day for home cooking fires, so here are some ways to stay on alert:
1. Never leave the stove or oven unattended. Grease fires can start in seconds.
2. If you must leave home for even a short time, turn off the stove or oven.
3. Keep anything flammable – pot holders, dish towels, food wrappings – at least three feet from the stove.
4. Roll up your sleeves and keep your apron or clothing wrapped close to your body.
5. Use back burners when possible and keep pot handles turned in.
6. If a fire occurs on the stove, smother it with a pan lid.
7. Oven fires are best contained by closing the over door tightly.
8. Never use water on a grease fire.
These tips brought to you by the National Fire Protection Association.