It may be uncomfortable to think about, but emergency hospitals are encouraging you to prevent injury or death to your pet due to poisoning. And with Easter around the corner, you won't believe some of these toxins! 

Veterinarians say pets are more likely than humans to eat things that are toxic to them. And some of those potentially life threatening toxins may come as a surprise to you.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the top ten pet toxins of 2012 were:

1. Prescription human medications

2. Insecticides

3. Over-the-counter human medications

4. Veterinary products and medications

5. Household products

6. People food

7. Chocolate

8. Plants

9. Rodenticides

10. Lawn and garden products.

And that's not all: Garlic, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, raisins, the sugar substitute xylitol, and raw or undercooked food can create major problems for pets.

And with Easter just around the corner, it's important to recognize that LILIES are DEADLY to cats!

Antifreeze is another toxic substance that pets are often attracted to. If ingested, pets can almost certainly die if left untreated.

If your pet does ingest something that may be toxic, make sure to bring the label or packaging of the substance with you to your vet.

Most importantly, if you believe your pet has eaten or ingested something that may be poisonous, contact your vet or an emergency vet immediately. Getting prompt attention can be the difference between life and death.