The Rookie – Cocktail of the Week
Subscribe to 94.3 The Point on
The drink is easy, delicious, and perfect for those who are just starting to explore the world of cocktails!
This is a great option for people who want to have a boozy brunch but hate juice and/or bubbles.
The reason for calling it The Rookie is threefold:
- It’s insanely easy to make, even for beginners.
- It’s easy-drinking, so even those who are just starting to explore the world of adult bevs will enjoy it. (That said, if you are under 21, don’t be a jerk. This is not for you.)
- It uses one of my very favorite things: Rook Coffee New Orleans Style Cold Brew. It’s a dark-roasted cold brewed coffee combined with chicory, and it’s amazing. I’m using a bottle of the concentrate for this drink, available at any Rook location (and a handful of other local spots.) It’s amazing, and I’m obsessed.
Now, when I say this drink is easy, I mean it. It’s equal parts of three different ingredients. That’s it.
Rookie notes: 1.5 oz is what fits in a standard shot glass.
- 1.5 oz. caramel-flavored vodka
- 1.5 oz. Rook Coffee New Orleans-style Cold Brew concentrate
- 1.5 oz. milk
Fill a shaker with ice, add all three ingredients, shake it up, and strain into a martini glass. (You could also put it all in a small mason jar, stir/shake it, and enjoy it on the rocks.)
That’s it. Easy.
The sweetness from the caramel vodka balances out the bitterness of the coffee and the milk adds a nice amount of creaminess. You could certainly make this with a regular iced coffee, but I’m telling you, it won’t be as good.
Switch it up:
Use vanilla, chocolate, or even a marshmallow-flavored vodka..
Use plain vodka with a bit of simple syrup if you don’t like flavored vodka.
Use half-and-half instead of regular milk for a creamier drink.
Use more or less vodka, milk, or coffee concentrate to suit your individual tastes.