You Know You Were a Child of the 80s if…
Today is MTV’s birthday. Music Television signed on August 1, 1981. MTV was not only a game changer for music, but for pop culture as well. If any of these things apply to you, you may be a child of the 80s.
- You watched Fraggle Rock and loved it!
- Stirrup pants and leggings were a wardrobe staple (girls only).
- You wished you had a butler like Mr. Belvedere.
- You wore a ponytail on the side of your head, tied back with a scrunchie.
- You remember watching the Cosby Show.
- You have played with a Skip-It.
- You used to watch Transformers and Rainbow Bright.
- You wanted to be on Star Search.
- You thought that you had the power “By the power of Greyskull!”
- You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
- You’ve prank called 867-5309 just to let Jenny know that you’ve got her number.
- You’ve ever ended a sentence with “Sike!”
- You played with Pound Puppies (and watched the TV show too), Teddy Ruxpin, Cabbage Patch Kids, Strawberry Shortcake dolls, My Little Ponies, Lite Brite, Transformers, and Glowworms.
- Princess Bride, The Brat Pack movies, The Goonies, BeetleJuice, Back to the Future 1, 2, & 3, or Weekend at Bernie’s are some of your favorite movies.
- You played MASH and made origami fortunetellers during Recess.
- You had big hair and you knew how to use it.
- You’ve ever wanted to take a bite out of crime.
- You remember “Where’s the Beef?”
- You had a Trapper Keeper.
- You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.
- You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us… head-to-toe)
- You still get the urge to say “NOT ” after every sentence.
- You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
- You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.
- You had a mullet!
Click “Like” if any of these apply to you! Have something to add? Tell us in the comment section.
Here’s the launch of MTV on August 1, 1981: