Port Monmouth Elementary Likely To Close
Rumors about school consolidations have been making their rounds for a while now.
Middletown schools superintendent Dr. William George announced the plan to consolidate Port Monmouth and New Monmouth elementary schools. If given the green light, this will go into effect this school year. Port Monmouth will be closed and current students will be moved to New Monmouth. The news was unexpected to parents and staff, to say the least.
The superintendent held staff meetings at both Port Monmouth and New Monmouth Tuesday right after dismissal.
Here is part of a letter that went home with Port Monmouth Elementary students Tuesday:
Today I am informing you about our proposal for the consolidation of Port Monmouth and New Monmouth elementary schools," wrote Dr. George in a letter sent home to parents Tuesday. "Students projected to attend Port Monmouth during the 2020-2021 school year along with the New Monmouth students would create a new community of learners at New Monmouth.
The Middletown Board of Education will officially vote on March 4 to move forward with the consolidation plan.
As of this writing, there are no exact plans on what will happen to the Port Monmouth school building.
Here's an upcoming schedule for those involved in the possible upcoming changes.
- On Wednesday, Feb. 19 - There will be a public school Consolidation Discussion, 7 p.m. at New Monmouth Elementary School. All Middletown residents are welcome to attend and can ask questions.
- Thursday, Feb. 20 - Dr. George will be at Port Monmouth Elementary School during A.M. drop-off hours
- Thursday, Feb. 20 - Dr. George will be at Port Monmouth Elementary School during P.M. pickup hours
- Friday, Feb. 21 - Dr. George will be at Port Monmouth Elementary School during A.M. drop- off hours
- Monday, Feb. 24 – School Consolidation Public Presentation, 7 p.m. at New Monmouth Elementary School
- Wednesday, Feb. 26 - School Consolidation Proposal Presentation at Board of Education Meeting, 7 p.m. at High School North
- Wednesday, March 4 - Board action on consolidation proposal at Board of Education Budget meeting