Deadly Flesh-Eating Bacteria Found in Jersey Waters
If you've never heard of Vibrio, there's a good reason. This potentially deadly flesh-eating bacteria usually is found in year-round warmer climates. But, now it's been found in Jersey waters and has killed a man.
Five people all between the ages of 38 and 64 have been treated at Cooper University Hospital, according to Patch.
Three people got the bacteria while crabbing in the Delaware Bay, one person got sick while working at a restaurant, and a 64-year-old man was contaminated while cleaning and then eating crabs with an open wound. He died.
Angel Perez was crabbing in the Maurice River when he began to experience painful swelling in his right leg. The infection rapidly spread through his body and blood. His forearms turned black, and eventually, all of his limbs had to be amputated.
According to the Annals of Internal Medicine:
Vibrio lives in brackish, high-salt waters with surface temperatures above 55 degrees. The infections occur through breaks in the skin, and intestinal infections occur after consumption of seafood.