I've been away for a couple of weeks, and while I would love to tell you I enjoyed my time on the islands, that wasn't the case.  

I went to bed with an odd earache and muscle twitching around my eye and lips. I thought nothing of it. I took an Advil, and went to sleep. Three weeks ago on Saturday I woke up and the left side of my face wouldn't move, it looked like I had a stroke.

I immediately went to the ER and had a cat scan taken along with some blood tests. The staff physician said that luckily I didn't have a stroke, but it did look like I had Bell's palsy.

According to the Mayo Clinic, Bell's palsy causes sudden weakness in your facial muscles. This makes half of your face appear to droop. Your smile is one-sided, and your eye on that side resists closing.

The exact cause is unknown, but it's believed to be the result of swelling and inflammation of the nerve that controls the muscles on one side of your face.

My speech was impaired as a result.

I've wanted to be a DJ since I was a little kid. I started in this business when I was 15 years old. The thought of not being able to do what is my life has been terrifying. While it has gotten better over the weeks, there was a very real fear of what my future held. After all, I talk for a living.

Luckily, I've got family, friends, co-workers and a boss that have been nothing but supportive throughout the entire situation.

I have to mention Laurie Cataldo specifically. Not only did Laurie fill in for me while I was out, but she picked up the slack on the responsibilities I have off the air. Most importantly, she was a friend who provided moral support when it was really needed. You can tell listening to her every workday, but trust me when I tell you she's one of a kind.

I missed talking to you and am glad I'm back.

The recovery of Bell's pasly can be slow. There's a lot about it that I'm still figuring out. If you've had any experiences that you feel comfortable sharing, please reach out. My email is matt.ryan@townsquaremedia.com.