Sandy Relief Fund Gets $4.5M for Schools [VIDEO/AUDIO]
More than nine months after Superstorm Sandy rocked New Jersey, the generous giving continues.
The Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund, chaired by first lady Mary Pat Christie, has received $4.5 million from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Embassy. It will help rebuild and repair technological infrastructure at 30 public schools in nine school districts that were significantly impacted by the storm.
"Approximately 20,000 students will benefit from these improvements," said UAE Ambassador to the United States Yousef Al Otaiba.
Work includes construction to increase internet bandwidth capacity, wiring and hardware for instructional areas, and acquisition of mobile computing devices for faculty and students.
"Superstorm Sandy brought unprecedented destruction to New Jersey, including more than $40 million in damages to our schools," said Governor Chris Christie, who was present for the Monday announcement of the donation in Highlands. "While our state has made great strides to reopen our schools, this donation will undoubtedly relieve some of the burden placed on New Jersey's hardest hit towns and help enhance our students' use of technology as they enjoy a normal return to school this fall."
Mrs. Christie said she is extremely grateful for the UAE donation. Her charity has now raised $38 million from more than 29,000 donors worldwide.
Below is a full list of the 30 schools within the nine districts that will benefit from the UAE donation:
Belmar School District
- Belmar Elementary
Brick School District
- Brick Township High School
- Brick Township Memorial High School
- Drum Point Road Elementary School
- Emma Havens Young Elementary School
- Herbertsville Elementary School
- Lake Riviera Middle School
- Lanes Mill Elementary School
- Midstreams Elementary School
- Osbornville Elementary School
- Veterans Memorial Middle School
- Veterans Memorial Elementary School
Highlands Borough School District
- Highlands Elementary School
Hoboken School District
- Hoboken High School
- Joseph F. Brandt School
- Salvatore R. Calabro
- Thomas G. Connors
- Wallace Elementary School
Little Ferry School District
- Memorial Elementary School
- Washington Elementary School
Moonachie School District
- Robert L. Craig School
Sayreville School District
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School
- Emma Arleth Elementary School
- Harry S. Truman Elementary School
- Samsel Upper Elementary School
- Sayreville Middle School
- Sayerville War Memorial High School
- Woodrow Wilson Elementary School
Seaside Heights School District
- Hugh J. Boyd Jr. Elementary School
Union Beach School District
- Memorial School