12 Things You Know if You Live in Point Pleasant Beach
I am blessed to live in Point Pleasant Beach. Sure there are some challenges...but the good outweighs the bad every time! Here are some of the things you know about summer if you live here:
1. You have to allow up to a half-hour of extra time to get over the bridge and across the tracks to the beach side if that's where you live...especially on a Saturday late-morning and afternoon. Why? Because of the drawbridge and traffic coming off of the Parkway that has to merge with the local traffic coming from Brielle and Manasquan.
2. When you're trying to leave home to get to another town, don't do it on a Sunday evening...it'll take you forever to get past Ocean Avenue and up Broadway to the drawbridge.
2. If you don't own a parking space, you are out of luck....unless you want to pay upwards of $20 on a jam-packed beach day or night.
3. If you have space in your driveway, you will never be at a loss for friends calling to see if they can borrow a parking space because they can't find, or afford, one of their own.
4. By the time all the bars and restaurants get going in the late-afternoon/evening, you can count on people walking in the streets. One too many drinks and they can't remember how to stay on a sidewalk.
5. Thursday nights. Fireworks. The crowds aren't going anywhere until at least 10 pm when the festivities end. It's loud, but a real treat each week.
6. That nice, peaceful run on the boardwalk you took in the spring? Can't do it now. Hundreds of people now jam Jenkinson's from the Aquarium and games, to the rides.
7. You have instant entertainment for all of your visitors. Want a great slice of pie? Check. A trip to see the seals and penguins? Check. A funnel cake or zeppoli? Check, check. Some great rides? Check. Great, live music on the beach? Check. A place to walk for drinks? Check. Fresh seafood? Check! Ice cream? Check. Shopping? Between the gift shops on the boardwalk and the wonderful shops around Arnold Ave. in town, check, check, and check! Restaurants? Too many to name! Check!
8. The Inlet. One of the most beautiful places on earth to watch the giant fishing boats come and go, whether you bring a fishing pole or relax on a bench or a beach chair. It's heavenly on a nice day..and usually with a nice breeze to cool you off when it's hot.
9. The beach and ocean. You have to pay. A lot. And the water is many times pretty rough, especially since Sandy. But that doesn't stop locals and tourists alike from enjoying the beauty of it.
10. The Palm trees. Yes, they are real and gorgeous in the summer! (Except for that day-glow orange one over by the beach bar.)
11. The sunrises.
12. The sunsets.