Popular Retailer with 12 Monmouth/Ocean Locations to Close
2018 was a difficult year for brick and mortar retail stores. 2019 has been a rough start as well with the announcement of 12 locations closing.
According to Reuters, Payless ShoeSource is expected to file for bankruptcy and close all of its roughly 2,300 stores in the U.S. 12 of them are in Monmouth and Ocean counties.
- Hazlet - K-Mart Shopping Center
- Holmdel - Holmdel Towne Center
- Eatontown - Monmouth Mall
- Freehold - Freehold Mall Shopping Center
- Neptune City - Neptune City Shopping Center
- Wall - Plaza 35
- Howell - Lanes Mill Shopping Center
- Lakewood - Lakewood Shopping Center
- Brick - Brick Commons
- Brick - Bay Harbor Plaza
- Toms River - Ocean County Mall
- Lanoka Harbor - Lacey Mall
The decision to file for bankruptcy again, and to close all of Payless' 2,300 stores was reportedly made because Payless failed to find a buyer. Reports are saying that the company has shifted its attention to liquidation. Going-out-of-business sales are expected to start in the next week.