The Rookie – Cocktail of the Week
The drink is easy, delicious, and perfect for those who are just starting to explore the world of cocktails!
This is a great option for people who want to have a boozy brunch but hate juice and/or bubbles.
The reason for calling it The Rookie is threefold:
- It's insanely easy to make, even for beginners.
- It's easy-drinking, so even those who are just starting to explore the world of adult bevs will enjoy it. (That said, if you are under 21, don't be a jerk. This is not for you.)
- It uses one of my very favorite things: Rook Coffee New Orleans Style Cold Brew. It's a dark-roasted cold brewed coffee combined with chicory, and it's amazing. I'm using a bottle of the concentrate for this drink, available at any Rook location (and a handful of other local spots.) It's amazing, and I'm obsessed.
Now, when I say this drink is easy, I mean it. It's equal parts of three different ingredients. That's it.
Rookie notes: 1.5 oz is what fits in a standard shot glass.
- 1.5 oz. caramel-flavored vodka
- 1.5 oz. Rook Coffee New Orleans-style Cold Brew concentrate
- 1.5 oz. milk
Fill a shaker with ice, add all three ingredients, shake it up, and strain into a martini glass. (You could also put it all in a small mason jar, stir/shake it, and enjoy it on the rocks.)
That's it. Easy.
The sweetness from the caramel vodka balances out the bitterness of the coffee and the milk adds a nice amount of creaminess. You could certainly make this with a regular iced coffee, but I'm telling you, it won't be as good.
Switch it up:
Use vanilla, chocolate, or even a marshmallow-flavored vodka..
Use plain vodka with a bit of simple syrup if you don't like flavored vodka.
Use half-and-half instead of regular milk for a creamier drink.
Use more or less vodka, milk, or coffee concentrate to suit your individual tastes.