Liz Jeressi’s Top 6 Jersey Shore Comfort Foods
I know these may not qualify as healthy eating...but sometimes you just need a comfort food! Here are some of my choices:
1. Biscuits (with their honey butter!) and scones from The Buttered Biscuit in Bradley Beach. Coupled with their homemade hot chocolate, this place is like a warm hug! The biscuits are HUGE and unlike any I have ever had anywhere else. Their whole menu is fantastic.
2. Diner Food. Specifically the perfect Cole Slaw, Triple Decker BLT, and Lemon Meringue Pie at New Monmouth Diner in Middletown. After 10 pm, this is the best place for a meal!
3. Uncle Dood's 'naked' donuts. Although they have plenty of fun toppings, this Donut shop in downtown Toms River makes them fresh to order and they are so amazingly delicious PLAIN that I can't ever think of putting anything on top!
4. Fins Tropical Cuisine: When I am in need of a comfort meal for dinner, their Tahitian Fish & Chips with that to-die-for Wasabi Passion Sauce, and their chips (the BEST) and one of their Peanut Butter Cup smoothies is EVERYTHING!!! I go to the Bradley Beach location, or sometimes their Sea Girt location. (They also have a Pt. Pleasant location.)
5. Pizza: All of it, but my current favorite is Attilio's Villagio in Lincroft. I spend a lot of time at Brookdale Community College and we have tried everything in that area for when my son is on campus. This is the closest place that has really good food. Every type of pizza we have tried there is scrumptious!
6. Mac & Cheese from Panera Bread. I love mac & cheese in general, but Panera Bread's is the creamiest and most flavorful! And the newest location in Wall has GREAT atmosphere, too!
I'm sure I can think of SO many more types of comfort food and places at the Shore to go for them, but these are the six that come to mind today. Please feel free to share yours!